2016-03-07

Comfort Food: Homemade Risotto with Prosciutto di Parma

In different periods of my life I had different comfort foods or favorite dishes. When I was a little girl I loved hash browns and still today I’m a huge fan of any kind of potato dish. That being said since quite a while now I’m really into Risotto especially top with Prosciutto di Parma – a special ham from the Parma region in Italy. I remember I used to be a bit intimidated when people told me about the cooking procedure of Risotto, but actually it’s not that difficult and as with most things in life the more often you do it the better you get at it :)

Piastuff.blogspot.com


What you need (feeds two people, takes about 30 min):
  •     1 Onion
  •     125gr Riostto Rice
  •     100ml White Wine
  •     400ml Vegetable Broth
  •     Parmesan Cheese
  •     Olive Oil
  •     Prosciutto di Parma


Start with chopping the onion into small pieces. Heat some olive oil in a pot and brown the onions without burning them. Add the Risotto Rice and let it brown for 2-3 minutes while stirring the rice-onion mixture. Once the rice starts looking transparent add the wine. Keep stirring until the wine dissolved completely.

Now the busy part starts: turn down the heat and add a bit of the veggie broth until the rice is almost covered. You don’t need to stir the Risotto like crazy but should stir it once and again until the veggie broth dissolved completely.

Go ahead and repeat this step until the complete 400ml of broth are gone. Be sure to set your stove to a medium temperature as otherwise the liquid will dissolve to fast without actually cooking the rice.

Once the Risotto is done – it should be moist but not too liquid or too dry (you’ll get the feeling for the right texture after a few times) – add as much Parmesan as you like (I usually add about 30gr directly and put more on the table so people can add as much as they want). 
The Parmesan will also soak up some of the moisture of the Risotto. On your plate add some freshly grounded black pepper and 2-3 slices of Prosciutto di Parma! I just love this dish and you?