2016-01-18

Book Review: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

I heard about “The Girl on the Train” by Paula Hawkins quite some time ago and it definitely was on my reading list. Then someone recommended the movie to me but as always I prefer reading the book first. So I finally read it and it’s really such a great book. I’ll promise you, once you start you can’t put it down until you’re finished – it’ll put a spell on you.

Somehow the book reminds me a bit of “4.50 Paddington Station” by Agatha Christie. I remember watching the movie with Margaret Rutherford for the first time and it still gives me the creeps, just like Paula Hawkins book.

The story revolves around Rachel, a mid-thirty and slightly alcoholic woman, commuting to London every day. She is fascinated by the sound of the train, knows every bump on the track and each signal light. The train passes by a stretch of cozy suburban houses – in one of them Rachel used to live with her ex-husband. And one of the other houses belong to “Jess and Jason” as Rachel calls them. The picture-perfect and happy couple which Rachel sees for a few seconds every day.

Until one day Rachel makes a shocking observation which changes everything and strongly influences the upcoming events…

Piastuff.blogspot.com



Have fun reading!