2016-11-20

Fall = Pumpkin Time


As soon as the first leaves turn red, brown and yellow I’m craving for pumpkin dishes: pumpkin soup, pumpkin spice latte, pasta with pumpkin sauce, pumpkin pie, risotto with pumpkin pieces – the list goes on and on…

In order to speed up the process of making these lovely dishes pumpkin puree comes in really handy. As I’m not a huge fan of buying processed food I’ll share with you all today how to make your very own pumpkin puree – it’s super easy :)

Let’s get started: all you need is a pumpkin (I love using the red kuri squash as you can use its skin as well) and a food processor/blender.

There are two different ways to make the puree:

1. If you have a high quality food processor cut the red kuri squash (incl. its skin) into little pieces and steam them for about 20min (if you can easily poke them with a fork, they are soft enough). Afterwards use your high quality food processor to blend the soft squash into a puree – and you are done!

2. If you don’t have a high quality blender I recommend a different approach to make your homemade pumpkin puree: cut the red kuri squash into two halves and roast it in the oven at 350°F for about 40min until the skin gets wrinkly. Use a spoon to carefully scratch off the skin. Afterwards blend the pumpkin flesh using your food processor. If you don’t have a food processor or blender use a fork to mash up the pumpkin.


Piastuff.blogspot.com


Piastuff.blogspot.com


I usually distribute the puree in an ice cube tray and freeze it as I can easily defreeze the amount of pumpkin puree I need. But you can use any other way of preserving to make your pumpkin puree last longer.


Piastuff.blogspot.com

Over the next few weeks (until spring is here) I will share with you a few of my favorite pumpkin recipes – what is your favorite pumpkin recipe?