2016-07-14

Upgrading the kitchen budget friendly – part one

When renting an apartment the kitchen is often part of the existing interior and there isn’t much you can do about it. However, that doesn’t mean you have to stick with whatever you get! On the picture you can see that the kitchen originally was super colorful – I have no idea who would want (and actually buy) this style of kitchen cabinets. The colors didn’t match to the wallpaper and they also didn’t really go well with each other, at least in my opinion.

So after seeing the kitchen for the first time, I just knew I had to do something about it. During the apartment tour the landlord had already said that the cabinets can be upgraded as long as they don’t get destroyed. After checking out the fronts it was clear that they couldn’t be painted as they were laminated. I remembered hearing something about adhesive furniture foil and that’s when the whole kitchen upgrade began to form in my head :)


Piastuff.blogspot.com

Besides the colorful kitchen cabinets the counter top are made of real wood and as the previous tenant didn’t really take care of them the wood swelled up especially around the sink. So this was something that needed to be taken care of as well. I decided to do this first – I knew I could stand all the colors at least for some time but as I really enjoy cooking and baking I really wanted to get those counter tops fixed asap.

I went to a local hardware store and asked for advice. I had never had a wooden counter top and wasn’t sure how to maintain it or how to fix the damage. I ended up getting several sanding papers with different grain sizes and some natural & organic oil for woods.




I started off sanding done the kitchen counter using the largest grain size. Once I was done, I repeated the process with the next smaller sanding paper and so on. In between I whipped down the sand dust. After I was done you could already feel a big difference as the surface was just a lot smoother. The next step was to oil the wood. As I knew it would get in touch with food I it was really important to me to get an all organic oil. I used a brush to spread the oil and whipped of the access amount with an old cloth. I repeated the process after 24h. Unfortunately you can’t really see the difference but mainly feel it! I also pay attention that no water sits on the counter top and will repeat the oiling every couple months.

I’ll share the ‘how to’ install the adhesive furniture foil next :)